Dear Seminole County Neighbor,
It’s been the privilege of a life time to represent you as the District 5 County Commissioner. I believe strongly that elected officials must continually earn the support of the voters, which is why I am proud of my record and the accomplishments we have achieved. To earn your support, I have
- Lowered taxes, reduced the size of government and never voted for a tax increase. Today your tax millage rate is lower than it was when I was elected to office. The number of government employees has been reduced by several hundred positions, while preserving the quality of services we all depend on.
- Worked to build a stabilization reserve fund when times were good. This fund saw us through the hard times without raising taxes. We reduced the spending budget by over $80 million.
- Fought against onerous proposed local and state regulations which would have included new stormwater fees, septic tank regulations without scientific facts, and the increasing of gas taxes.
- Served as the point person on the Central Florida Expressway Authority to stop the state from building “express tolls lanes within a toll road.”
- Continued to work against higher density along our rural eastern boundary by pointing out the potential negative impacts.
- Helped bring together private businesses with state and local municipalities to create over 3,500 new jobs – just in the last three years.
Other results which I pledged to pursue on your behalf include the construction of Yankee Lake, which is of special significance because it ensures we have quality water resources for many years to come; the renewing of the voter-approved penny sales tax to exclusively fund transportation needs and stormwater drainage projects; and continuous scrutiny to ensure that our growth is consistent and compatible with community standards. It has been rightly said, however, that the work of good government never ends.
My priorities for the future will continue to be
- Safe streets, schools and neighborhoods for our families & children
- Higher paying jobs and a growing local economy
- Keeping taxes low while preserving the quality of services we all depend on
I genuinely love this county. I have lived and worked here for over 58 years and my grandson, Dermot, is the fifth generation in my family to live here. Seminole County is definitely the best place to live, work, play, and raise a family, but there is still work to be done. Growing up, my parents taught me to always leave a place better than I found it. That’s my motivation for serving on the County Commission: to make sure our county remains “Florida’s Natural Choice” while making sure it is affordable and safe for future generations. That’s what makes us proud to call Seminole County home.
Thank you for your continued support and trust.